background

Thursday, April 30, 2015

Things I wish I knew before entering college.

Hello internet!

As summer is right around the corner, I've had some time to really reflect on my freshman experience. It's crazy to think that this time last year I was so excited and scared for what college would be like. I have a lot of friends that will be entering college next year and they always ask for advice so I thought I would share my personal tips and things I wish I knew for surviving freshman year.


  1. College is hard. In High School I was the type of kid who never studied for tests, never read assignments but still did really well in all my classes. In college however you have to study, A LOT. A lot of classes do not offer homework, which I always like because it meant free points basically. The most important thing to remember is to stay on top of your school work and classes, they move super quick. Falling behind will be a major pain to make up for.
  2. Making friends isn't as easy as you think. You have to put yourself out there, in college lectures and classes you don't get to talk to kids in your class, making it hard to meet people. In the dorms is where you'll meet a lot of people, however it can be really intimidating. If you struggle to make friends, clubs and organizations are a great way to meet new people. I was struggling to make friends and so I rushed for a sorority and my branch of friends has extended tremendously.
  3. College is what you make of it. If you didn't get into your top choice and are stuck going to a safety school or second choice, don't be upset about it. You truly end up where you belong and going into college with a negative attitude will really make for a negative experience. If you're unhappy with your school you can always transfer to a new school that suits you better. First semester of freshman year if rough for everyone, I highly encourage just sticking it out, because trust me it WILL get better.
  4. Dorms are not as fun as you think. With only 2 weeks left I'm looking forward to being out of the dorms more than anything. Often, people do get roommates that they do not get along with, which will really damper the whole experience. There's really nothing that fun about sharing a room, bathroom, and shower for an entire year. Plus no kitchen, like hello I feel like I'm starving half the time.
  5. 8 AMs are tough to go to. I started high school at 6:30, sometimes having practice at 5:30 AM. But for some reason waking up for an 8 am lecture is so difficult, could be due to staying up much later in college. I recommend taking classes that start no earlier than 9 Am if you can help it. 
Well those are pretty much the most important tips I believe I can provide you. College is fun, stressful, and overwhelming, but such an amazing process. It is the time where you really become independent and mature and find out who you really are. So don't stress about moving out or super far, because it might just be the best decision you'll make!

xoxo,
Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment